Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tournaments across timezones
Hey friends

this has probably been discussed before, but I still feel that I have to bring it to attention again.
I've completely stopped playing tournaments, because the fact that participants are spread across wide apart timezones put way too much on my scheduling.
Been thinking about specific tournaments per continent, or even per timezone.
What's your thoughts about that?

Cheers, and thx to the admins for setting this forum up!  
Have a great weekend,

Thomas, from Amtoft, Nordjylland
You are correct in thinking it has been discussed before.... with the apeal of internationalism winning out v.the  convenience of shared time zones. We thought about an eastern and a western division for the league (with monthly challenges for the winners) but that rules out promotion/relegation. We also offered to host an eastern division especially for those down under as an experiment.
The "JOIN NOW" button does offer a configuration setting based on player timezone. This can be set so that only players in certain timezones are offered the "JOIN NOW" button. It may help with your situation.
(02-04-2023, 11:29 AM)REALThomas Wrote: Hey friends

this has probably been discussed before, but I still feel that I have to bring it to attention again.
I've completely stopped playing tournaments, because the fact that participants are spread across wide apart timezones put way too much on my scheduling.
Been thinking about specific tournaments per continent, or even per timezone.
What's your thoughts about that?

Cheers, and thx to the admins for setting this forum up!  
Have a great weekend,

Thomas, from Amtoft, Nordjylland

Hi Thomas ... some tournaments have very quick deadlines so I would stay away from those if you can't be on frequently to complete a match - such as
The Fly

Others are more relaxed... I'll put a plug in for Swiss 2 - this one has only three 5 point matches, so the time commitment is less than most.  I give 3 days (and sometimes more if players are struggling to get an agreeable playing time) to complete each match.  Most of the players joining nowadays are very flexible.  Give it a try ! (only if your ELO is below 1600 though))

Tools: